Saturday, February 18, 2012

Follow-up

Camden was accident free today!  YAY!  We have both gotten better at reading his body cues.  He is happier, and each day I have backed off a little more to give him the chance to show he can hold it!  And I just remind him occasionally that we need to go in to the bathroom.  He doesn't always want to, because he doesn't like to stop what he's doing, but when I bring him in anyway, he knows now what he needs to do, and does it!

I think it will still be a bit of time before he is telling me he needs to go on his own, or even before he gets to a point where he can just go in and do it all himself without any aid or prompting from me, but I think he is making progress, so we are just going to keep it up!  AND, he's been doing all of this with a 101 degree fever, so he's definitely a trooper!  I actually think it's a bit helpful because he isn't as active, so we can take things slow.

The first day, we went to the potty every 15 minutes.  The second day, we went every 30 (and on this day, I started showing him a movie while he was trying to go).  The third, it was about every 40 minutes.  And now, we just go in when he start giving his shifty cues and he is able to go right away, so we don't have to sit on the toilet for 5-10 minutes each time.  We still "take a break" at night, so he wears a diaper, but I am getting better at slowing his fluid intake a bit before he goes to bed, and I think that will help him to get control of himself at night.  It's awesome that we can see measurable progress and that he is happy about it!   Hopefully it will all keep up! :O)

1 comment:

Nicole and Preston said...

I have been so scared to start potty training so this made me feel a lot better! Did you have him wear underware or just run around naked the first few days? I have heard both ways? Payten loves to sit on the potty but won't ever go. How did you get him to go? So many questions....