Thursday, February 10, 2011

Normally, I've been pretty anti-girl....as in, I don't really want to have one*.  I'm not a flowery, too-big-of-a-bow-for-the-top-of-THAT-little-girl's-head type of person, but today, I had second thoughts.  Not that I'm going to convert to the bows, but perhaps it would be good for my husband to have the same experience I've seen many of my other male friends having with their daughters--being ABSOLUTELY smitten and wrapped around a little girl's finger must just be that priceless.  It is probably good for all men to have that experience--the experience of having a precious, virtuous, fragile daughter of God that sort-of belongs to him. That he doesn't have to raise to be "a protector" but rather, "a nurturer."  That is his forever to maintain and protect and spoil rotten.  And the true desire to never see another man hurt her at all; under any condition, ever.  I think it does something for a daddy's heart that perhaps a boy might not be able to do. Yes, I do think that every man should have that glorious opportunity after all.

*As an editor's note, I must add that never, under any condition whatsoever, ever, EVER, would I love or desire a daughter any less, I've just normally secretly hoped I had all boys.

4 comments:

KylaGroneman said...

I never thought I wanted any little girls at my house.. I always viewed girls as so much drama. :) It must be because I was such a silly girl. When I had my first my whole mentality changed. I love to see how much my husband loves his girls and how Ensley and Aspen both have him completely smitten. I think its always different when they are yours.

Holly Hoffman Spears said...

I always thought I was a "boy mom" too. I was scared to have a daughter. But it's been such a good thing for me... and you are so right about what it does for a dad. There is something SO special between a daughter and a good daddy. I don't even know how to explain it. I love this post. :)

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this too, but I've been converted by such a sweetheart of a little girl! I'm sure they'll still be teen drama, but it's so worth it. I always think of President Hinckley's talk where he discussed what a blessing it was to have daughters in his later years -- it's a stereotype for sure and some boys (like I'm sure your cute Camden) defy it, but in general girls seem to help hold that family bond together even as they get start their own families and lives.

Addie Joyce said...

I've always wanted boys too. They just crack me up.